Old March 28th 04, 10:27 PM
Phil Kane

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:11:22 -0800, mike wrote:

I'd be interested to hear peoples' thoughts on what constitutes a
2-meter emergency during a power outage.

As a member of the county emergency services, the problem starts
when the power goes out.

Being able to talk to the same two guys I talk to every day
on 2-meters is NOT a priority.

It is when the "same two guys" are the County Emergency
Manager and the County Communications Officer that such a
facility is necessary.

A power outage is a great time for a nap...maybe even with the old lady...

I don't need a power outage for that.... ggg

The biggest problem with the portable battery station is that you don't
use it...it goes flat...sulphates...and can't hold a charge when you
need it. I charge mine on a regular schedule and it still goes flat...

My station power supply is a Size 31 100 AH Marine Deep Cycle
Gel-Cell battery with continuous float charge (13.5 V) by dual AC
supplies and suitable diode isolation. All equipment runs on 12V,
and all wiring and distribution devices are UL and USCG marine
approved. Gel-cells don't go flat when float-charged and the usual
battery life is about 5 years.

Steady-state (receive-only) draw is 5A (then again I have 3
transceivers, 6 receivers, and 4 TNCs on-line 24/7.

Contrary to what an earlier poster said, such a setup will not
power the station for the number of hours determined by the AH
rating divided by the steady-state load (in my case 100/5 or 20
hours). After about 6 hours, the no-charge battery bus voltage
will drop to about 11.3 volts at which point several 12 V devices
fail to operate and go off-line. That's what standby generators
are for.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest