Old March 28th 04, 10:57 PM
Gary S.

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:11:22 -0800, mike wrote:

I'd be interested to hear peoples' thoughts on what constitutes a
2-meter emergency during a power outage.
In winter, I'm most concerned about the gas heat not working and the
pipes freezing. Conversely, in summer, I worry about the freezer
thawing. Being able to talk to the same two guys I talk to every day
on 2-meters is NOT a priority. A power outage is a great time for a
nap...maybe even with the old lady...

The concern is not about talking with your buddies on 2M, but for
those who are involved in various emergency communications functions,
including their local Emergency Ops Center, their state's emergency
operations, ARES, MARS, SATERN, Red Cross, etc.

Many hams are involved with these efforts, and many times in natural
(hurricanes) or not so natural (WTC) disasters have been the only
reliable source of communications.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA