Old February 1st 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default Will "no code" license result in meaningful growth?

On Feb 1, 12:49�pm, Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 31, 11:03?pm, "Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:
Information from within ARRL indicates that last year the ARRL VECs, whose
teams handle over 70% ov al VE sessions, per their claim (which I am not
confirming nor disputing), performed over 5,000 VE sessions (with each
session handling multiple applicants/testees).

According to the report, the average session was 5-10 applicants/testees ...
(25-50k testees)

"Reservations" have now jumped to 50-75/session!!!

That's excellent!
It appears that no-code WILL result in significant growth. (as I predicted)

Well, maybe.

W3GEG told me that this past week's VE session in Morgantown resulted in
five fellows who took and passed Morse Code exams in obtaining their new
licenses. *I seem to recall that you'd commented some time ago that some
people might want to take such an exam before the elimination of Morse
testing.

Yep, that's right.

In fact Carl, WK3C, was a major contributor to a local radio club
prize for the *last* person in the club to pass Element 1.
(See his earlier posting at the start of a different thread for
details.)

---

Hopefully, the upcoming changes to the license requirements will
result in a new era of long-term growth in amateur radio, as has been
repeatedly predicted and promised by many of those in favor of the
changes.

But what if it doesn't?

73 es KC de Jim, N2EY