Old February 2nd 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
JimC JimC is offline

Default Boat Anchor Qualifications?

Chuck Harris wrote:

JimC wrote:

I'm not sure whether I qualify to post notes on this newsgroups, since
I don't know what qualifies as a boat anchor radio. I'm interested in
general coverage receiving, but I'm not a Ham and haven't got into
transcievers or transmitting stations. - I have a Realistic DX-160,
bought recently from Ebay, and also a Radio Shack portable similar to
the Sangean ATS-909. Is this group directed only to HAM radio, or
would general DX receivers also qualify? I would guess that my small
portable wouldn't, but I'm not sure about the DX-160?

Can anyone tell me what whether general DX receiving would be within
the general subject matter of the ng?

Thanks,
Jim Cate

Hi Jim,

Boat Anchor's are usually heavy radios with big power transformers, and
lots
of vacuum tubes. The definition has loosened up somewhat to include
some of
the slightly more modern ham radio gear that is partly solid state, and
partly
tubes (hybrid).

The only requirement for joining this group is having an interest in things
of this sort.

Although there is some discussion of receiving, and such, it is mostly in
connection with describing the performance of a particular radio vs some
other
radio. DX receiving is not in the general focus of this group. There
are other
groups in the rec.radio hierarchy that do focus on SWL receiving.

-Chuck

My DX-160 receiver is rather large, around 1 ft, 2 in. wide, and it is
about 30 years old. However, it's solid state, because I was more
interested in using it than in collecting or fixing it up. Years ago I
did use tube shortwave radios (a Zenith table model and a Hallicrafter
S-38, when they were popular and in general use.

How do these old tube models compare with current or recent SS models in
the same general price range?

Jim