Old February 2nd 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Bob Brock Bob Brock is offline

Default Unwritten policy and the intent of the average amateur ...

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 17:44:10 -0500, "Dee Flint"
wrote:

"Bob Brock" wrote in message
. ..

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

"Bob Brock" wrote in message

[snip]

It will be very tough to grow ham radio. We've "saturated the market" so
to speak. If you check around the internet (for example, Speroni's site
is one), you can find the statistics on a few of the other countries. We
have 2 hams per thousand people while Europe is running more like 1 ham
per thousand people. While we need to actively recruit, there just
aren't a lot of people out there that are inclined to amateur radio as a
part of their leisure pursuits. We will have to recruit hard just to
stay at the current level. It would not surprise me if our numbers
dropped in half over the next decade or so before leveling out.

You could be right. However, there wouldn't be anything wrong with
looking at the potential base of good people who could be interested in
ham radio and trying to figure out what aspects might motivate them in
joining in the hobby. Well, except that we are in the wrong ng to do that
right here and would need to start another thread in the appropriate ng
instead. I guess I'm questioning whether we should recruit hard or
recruit smart? Perhaps both wouldn't hurt anything.

What we need to do is recruit OUTSIDE the newsgroups and let people know
that it exists and what they can do with it. People in the amateur radio
newsgroups are either already licensed or know something about ham radio.
It's the people who know little to nothing about it that we need to get the
word to so that they can decide if this is an activity that they want to get
involved in.

If you guys want to sit here and say that there is no reason for hams
to discuss methods to recruit new hams here because the only people on
the newsgroups are the ones who recruit new hams, go ahead. I can't
make you. However, don't bemoan the lack of growth among the ranks.

What word is it that you want to get out? That you can talk to people
in foreign lands? That it is a good hobby for older people who are
shut in to be able to talk to new friends? That you can use it for
reliable communications with family and friends? How about the public
service aspects such as SKYWARN and ARIES? This is just a quick list
of things that I can think of because, as I already said, time is kind
of short for me right now and I think that brainstorming is a much
better method. That's why I suggested it.

What are the competitors to ham radio? GMRS, FRS, MURS, cell phones,
CB, etc.? What are the comparative advantages and disadvantages of
each of these? Why would ham radio be a better choice.

Then you could discuss market demographics. What kind of people might
be interested in ham radio? How about hunters and fishermen who may
want to be able to talk back people who are out with them? Perhaps
people who are interested in off grid living and homesteaders? Perhaps
farmers who want to be able to call back to the house when they are
out in the field? How about emergency communications like being able
to either call home or get someone else to call home for you when your
car is broke down? This list too could be a lot longer.

Once you decide what the demographics are, you could look at what
kinds of media do these people read? I can tell you right now, it's
not ham specific magazines such as QST. Ideas that come to mind,
based on the list that I've provided are the various newsgroups and
list servers that cater to their needs. Magazines that sell to
homesteaders such as Countryside Magazine or Mother Earth. All kinds
of hunting and fishing magazines out there. There are a lot of media
outlets tailored to older people and people on a tight budget/fixed
income. You could also look at organizations publications of specific
groups. This list too is abbreviated.

Two of the barriers to people getting a ham license that I run into
quite a bit are the Morse Code requirement and a lot of people don't
realize that there is a difference between ham and CB. The code
barrier is gone and that is a good lead in as to why someone may want
to consider ham radio even if they had dismissed it at an earlier
time.

Then someone could look back over the various open discussions and
write an article to be submitted to any of the various media
describing the advantages of ham radio over other methods. People who
otherwise hadn't considered ham radio as an option for their
particular needs may get a chance to see that it is indeed an option
that would meet a need. It's not only a good chance to promote ham
radio in a media read by someone other than hams, you might make a
little money from it. There are many here with excellent writing
skills who are capable of doing it.

The other option is to take a fatalistic viewpoint that the market is
saturated and growth is impossible. To that, I say that marketing is
everything and right now the vast majority of marketing is keyed
towards those already in ham radio. It's a policy that I disagree
with and if no one else wants to do it, it's something that I will do
alone as soon as time permits. However, that may be after the current
widow of opportunity created by dropping the code requirement has
passed and that would be truly unfortunate.