Old February 2nd 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Boat Anchor Qualifications?

JimC wrote:
I'm not sure whether I qualify to post notes on this newsgroups, since I
don't know what qualifies as a boat anchor radio. I'm interested in
general coverage receiving, but I'm not a Ham and haven't got into
transcievers or transmitting stations. - I have a Realistic DX-160,
bought recently from Ebay, and also a Radio Shack portable similar to
the Sangean ATS-909. Is this group directed only to HAM radio, or would
general DX receivers also qualify? I would guess that my small portable
wouldn't, but I'm not sure about the DX-160?

You probably want rec.radio.shortwave.

Discussions of general coverage receivers is welcome here, if the receivers
are actually boatanchors. The DX-160 is on the borderline of the boatanchor
mark since they can comfortably be lifted in one hand.

In the case of transmitters, the "watts per pound" measure is helpful to
determine if a device is a boatanchor or not. In the case of receivers it
is somewhat more vague.

Can anyone tell me what whether general DX receiving would be within the
general subject matter of the ng?

No, but care and alignment of a DX-160 wouldn't be too far out.
--scott