Old February 2nd 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Mike Andrews Mike Andrews is offline

Default Boat Anchor Qualifications?

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:03:10 -0800, Caveat Lector wrote in :

"JimC" wrote in message
et...
I'm not sure whether I qualify to post notes on this newsgroups, since I
don't know what qualifies as a boat anchor radio. I'm interested in
general coverage receiving, but I'm not a Ham and haven't got into
transcievers or transmitting stations. - I have a Realistic DX-160, bought
recently from Ebay, and also a Radio Shack portable similar to the Sangean
ATS-909. Is this group directed only to HAM radio, or would general DX
receivers also qualify? I would guess that my small portable wouldn't, but
I'm not sure about the DX-160?

Can anyone tell me what whether general DX receiving would be within the
general subject matter of the ng?

Hi Jim - Boatanchors are usually very old heavy tube type radio/transmitters
etc.

Probably a better grpup for you is rec.radio.shortwave -- lots of info and
posts about Shortwave Listening and variuos radio madels.

This group really is more about the radios than about their use, in
my experience. The boatanchors we discuss are indeed old, heavy, big
boxes, usually but not always all-vacuum-tube, and usually but not always
rack-mountable. Some examples can be found by Googling on `R-390 OR R-390A
OR FRR-59 OR R-1051 radio receiver', without the quotes; the string _is_
case sensitive: the "OR" must be in upper case to have Google do the
alternation correctly.

Or you can look at the following URLs on my website to see the R-390,
R-390A, R-1051B, and R-1051H:
http://mikea.ath.cx/R-390/
http://mikea.ath.cx/R-390A/
http://mikea.ath.cx/R-1051/

--
'Dianetics' and 'Battlefield Earth'. "Burning books is *wrong*. So we shot
them instead." Apparently they do quite well as targets; whatever he was