Old February 2nd 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave Heil Dave Heil is offline

Default Schlecks' Schlock!

Cecil Moore wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote:
If I have an idea, and I'm not allowed to post it, or if I have a
reply to anoters post that is simply a bit off the topic, as
converstations between friends sometimes veer from an original
subject, then call it what we will, of we're not allowed to say it -
it is censored. That is what a moderator does.

Take a look at the dictionary definition of "censor".
If the government were involved, it would definitely
be censorship. But a group of ordinary citizens getting
together and abiding by a set of rules probably doesn't
meet the definition, IMO. The moderators of QRZ.COM
sometimes delete a posting they find objectionable.
That's not censorship, that's just the golden rule -
The guys with the gold make the rules. :-)

Yep. Nobody has an innate right to post to a newsgroup. Nobody has a
right to do or say anything he or she wants about an ISP either. Roger
Wiseman found that out the hardway when he made his comments about a
woman who runs a local ISP. His access was yanked in a heartbeat.

There are numerous other moderated newsgroups. None of them seem to
have a problem because the socially handicapped are simply not permitted
to post to them. One has no more right to post to those groups than a
person has a right to appear on CNN to make a statement.

Anyone may go outside his house, stand on the walk and expound on his
views for hours at a time. No one is forced to listen.

Dave K8MN