Old February 3rd 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Stefan Wolfe Stefan Wolfe is offline

Default Will "no code" license result in meaningful growth?

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:
But what if it doesn't?

Ham radio still has a lot to offer but not
nearly as much as it once did. What can we
do to make it more attractive?

Very good question. In future centuries it may become very popular again in
some form if we ever colonize planets or moons in our solar system. However,
not being there yet, I sure would like to improve our situation on this
planet, especially during sunspot minima. It would REALLY be helpful if we
could have a full 40m band that is free of commerical broadcasting
interference...that would be a significant improvement.

Also, the ability to communicate on a full 60 m band at full power would
help.

A decent chunk of 30m with voice would be very helpful.

Much of the segments I mentioned are not used that much anymore by the
commericals and it is going to waste.

75-80m and 160m are great at certain times except that, although they tend
to favor the rural demographic, they are uselss to the younger people who
tend to live in the cities and suburbs.

I think the spectrum provided to us is basically unusable much of the time
(with the exception of 20m).

We are told to use the bands or lose them but much of what we have cannot be
used, reliably, much of the time.