Old February 3rd 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave Heil Dave Heil is offline

Default Unwritten policy and the intent of the average amateur ...

Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote in
s.com:

On Jan 30, 8:03�pm, "

At last, an amateur extra licensee besides Hans Brakob
who admits what has been visible for years.

The old paradigms are no longer worth a pair of pennies.

Which old paradigms, Len?

What should the old paradigms be replaced with?

Element one is gone. The hams who fought code elimination for so many
years, many with unbridled hatred for uncoded hams, or even nickle
Extras such as myself now are at a crossroads. They can either accept
the change for what it is, or become like little neutron stars, perhaps
embracing their hatred, perhaps clanning together to reminisce about the
good old days when hems were really hams. Perhaps not much consolation
however in the fact that they will have become irrelevant.

How do they suddenly become irrelevant, Mike? If they gone on with
their lives, operate on the bands in the same manner they've operated
for years, if they check into nets, chase DX, operate in contests--where
does irrelevant become reality?

My experience leads me to suspect that most will choose the latter.
Too bad, that.

What odd twist of fate leads you to your present state of gloom and doom?

The new paradigm IMO should be that hams should now be expected to
advance their technical skills and knowledge. The days when a Ham's
worth was measured by motor skills and auditory processing ability are
gone.

Please don't use the word "paradigm", Mike. It has bad ju-ju associated
with it. We don't "market the migration", "enter into a bold new
paradigm", "become proactive" or "think outside the box".

Hams have never ever been one dimensional, nor do all radio amateurs
march in lock step. Most of the hams I've known in over four decades in
amateur radio have more than one area of interest. Most pride
themselves on the sum of their skills, not in only a single one.

I'm planning on moving on and am excited by the new potential.

What new potential has now been offered that wasn't there last month?

What are you going to do?

I'm planning to do what interests me.

Dave K8MN