Old February 3rd 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] nm5k@wt.net is offline

Default Advice for 75m Mobile Field Strength measurements

On Feb 3, 7:24 am, "k1drw" wrote:

- Would the MFJ-802 be an adequate measuring device for our use ? Any
caveats ?

Almost any FS meter can be used as long as it's not overloaded and
saturated to a full peg reading on everything..
Also a distant receiver is ok as long as the signal is stable. Ground
wave is
usually pretty stable if you test quickly.

- What test FIELD environment should we try to arrange (e.g. large
empty parking lot, or a rural open field) ?

Doesn't matter, except I would use the same exact spot for every rig
tested. The only thing moving from field to lot, would effect the
ground
quality. The cdx of the ground doesn't really matter as long as each
rig is tested from the same spot. Improvement of the ground would
effect
all rigs equally.

- When testing each vehicle, what space should separate it from other
vehicles waiting to be tested ?

I would move and park each one in the same exact spot if I wanted
to be fairly accurate. Ground cdx could possibly change a few feet
away.
Or maybe not, but if I'm doing a test, I want things as equal as
possible.

- Should the vehicle sit stationery, or be moving in a circle ?

I would sit it still. You are not measuring pattern. Just efficiency.
Any improvement in effeciency will effect all angles or directions
equally. No point in moving around, and could in fact degrade the test
if the ground changes under the vehicle.
MK