Old March 29th 04, 06:48 PM
mike

It depends on the area, but having battery power is just plain good
sense in Houston Texas. You'll eventually use it. As far as
emergencies, I'm covered from just about every angle you can think
of...We are due another big storm. Houston is so built up, a hurricane
just rips it to shreds. If we ever get a storm that is 150 mph,
Houston will be totaled. I'm talking big time. Alica just about
ruinated it, and it was a wimpy 105 mph job...It did roll right down
main street though...Made a heapum big mess. I look at old pix of the
damage and it's amazing. Trees blown down right and left. Our whole
street was covered in blown down trees and tree branches. MK

What a bunch of wussies.
You ain't lived till you've been thru a hurricaine in Port Arthur.
Two blocks from the Gulf of Mexico and two feet below sea level.
That big battery had better be in the attic...and in a box to protect it
when the roof blows off.

And still, I don't think I ever handled any IMPORTANT traffic.
I'll waive
the public service banner if it helps keep the spectrum, but I don't
believe it.
I'll wager that 90% of the people with battery backup are of no value
in an emergency...not cause they're not motivated or stupid...it's that
there's nothing for them to do as long as they're fixed in one spot.
If you want to be helpful, put your rig in your vehicle...or your boat
if you live near the coast. Or put your repeater up high and put a
generator on it.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment