Old February 3rd 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] LenAnderson@ieee.org is offline

Default Unwritten policy and the intent of the average amateur ...

From: Mike Coslo on Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:43:36
-0600

wrote in
On Jan 30, 8:03?pm, " wrote:

At last, an amateur extra licensee besides Hans Brakob
who admits what has been visible for years.

The old paradigms are no longer worth a pair of pennies.

Which old paradigms, Len?

tsk, tsk, ol' cranky spanky jes' cain't take phrases... :-

What should the old paradigms be replaced with?

Element one is gone.

CAREFUL! Pedantry rulez! "Factual error!"

It be gone from the test suite toot sweet.

The new paradigm IMO should be that hams should now be expected to
advance their technical skills and knowledge. The days when a Ham's
worth was measured by motor skills and auditory processing ability are
gone.

Hmmm..."motor skills." Does that apply to their MOUTH?

"Auditory processing ability." Well, so many hear only
what they want to hear so I guess they DO have some
skill at that... :-)

I'm planning on moving on and am excited by the new potential.

Good for you! Way to go!

Ya know, onct upon a time long ago in a land far, far away
I got assigned to a large HF station in the military. Very
impressive to my mind then. Caused me to (eventually) do
an about-face on life career goals. Quit Art Center School
of Design, went to collitch classes to learn electronic
engineering, worked at that until about last week. :-)
Got all the collitch degrease I need, no lube jobs to
personnel departments needed either. Had a VERY
interesting career, fun, challenge, doing what I really
liked doing. Liked it so much I did my own electronic and
"radio" projects as a hobby, have an indoor workshop to do
that, been doing that for 40 years in there.

Now I've been chided, castized, categorized, pilloried and
profiled all on acount of NOT GETTING A HAM LICENSE *FIRST*!
MORAL-ETHICAL FELONY! Oooo, Oooo! :-)

Now, what I started out to do in here (and a few other places)
was to advocate elimination of the code test. Vigorously.
Not to get a "ham ticket." [we already have a coupon for
ham at the supermarket...saving it for Easter time] That
was DONE. FCC 06-178 is ESTABLISHED FACT and WILL BECOME
*LAW* in roughly three weeks (give or take a few days
depending who reads this stuff when...).

What are you going to do?

I can care less what ol' Spanky gonna do. What I saw him
do is ten kinds of hypocritical "enthusiasm" and the usual
denial of all his harping about his beloved morse goad.
He gonna go on and on and on about his 'history' subjects
that he writes about AS IF he were a witness, etc. He got
his lil' red-hatted morse monkey helping him post, too.

Maybe I'll think about getting one o them thar "ham
tickets" (rather have some Lakers tickets). Maybe I won't.
What will it hep me do? "Communicate around the world?"
Did that, got lots of T-shirts. "Learn 'radio'?" Already
did that, too, made money at it. [collitch degrease did
NOT help me 'lubricate the ways' was only a personal perq]
"Join a pool of trained radio operators?!?" Ya gotta be
kidding! WTF did they think I did a half century ago?!?
"Show my 'dedication' to the ARS?!?" WTF do they think
the 'ARS' *IS*?!? If I want or need spiritual guidance
I'll go down to All-Saints Church on the end of my street
and get help from Pastor Midtlyng. He is closer to God
than all these Mighty Masters, the Macho Morsemen, will
ever be.

The Four Morsemen of the Apocalypse are still riding but
unshod. They've tried to shoo off others and lost their
footing. Poor babies. Amateur professionals.

LA