Old February 4th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
BDK BDK is offline

Default Icom r71a won't power on

In article ,
says...
My Icom R71a takes longer and longer to come on when the power switch
is pressed. The memory battery has never been replaced as far as I
know. Could a dead battery be causing this problem or do I have a
more serious problem?

You might be having the beginning of a problem with the ground off the
power supply. The entire radio's power goes through a single wire that
goes to a screw with a star washer under it. I bought one super cheap
that would only turn on about 1 out of a hundred times, when it did, it
came up slowly, and then it worked ok. I took it apart and there were
all kinds of scorch marks around the screw. I jumped the wire over to
another ground point and it fired up 100% of the time. I cleaned up the
original ground point, put some contact preservative stuff on it, and
also made another separate ground. It worked perfectly after that.

Usually, when the battery goes out, it's just dead, with some odd stuff
on the display.

BDK