Old February 5th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Stefan Wolfe Stefan Wolfe is offline

Default HD Radio

Commercial radio beat us again...they are the first to come out with a
significant release of digital radio. Amateur radio's contribution is
insignificant. I know, there are a few expensive rice boxes out there that
use it but the Ibiquity commercial format is already present and in fact
pervasive. Must be that darn old CW requirement that held us back again.

I will say that the FM sure sounds fantastic on my Boston Acoustics Receptor
HD Radio receiver. The multicasting feature of HD2 is a big step forward. I
have one station in my area that does HD2 now but I understand the FCC
license for this is still considered "experimental". No AM stations in my
area use HD it and I understand AM commercial cannot use it at night because
AM "HD" in this format takes up about 10 KHz so interference becomes a
problem. Amateurs could probably come up with something at half that
bandwidth using SSB, with a sound that is as good as existing mono FM.