Old February 4th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ron Hardin Ron Hardin is offline

Default Wall Wart Question

Hum very often comes from ground loops, in which case an isolation
transformer in the audio line fixes it. Radio Shack 270-054A
about $15.

It will come in handy for other things, even if it doesn't fix this.

I need them all over, between the radios and the computer.

Batteries are not very efficient at 12v; my own wall wart solution
is a switching power supply in the basement, powering about 30
12v devices each of which came with a wall wart. If you go this
route, fuse every line at below its capacity (eg. 7a for the
main 12 line, and 1/4 and 1/2 and up amps on each individual device's
line from that). Use fast blow because slow blow gets quite hot.

Normally the internal resistance of a wall wart prevents starting
fires in the power cord, but a big 12v supply is fully capable of
turning a short into a fire without overloading itself.

--
Ron Hardin