Old February 5th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
KC4UAI KC4UAI is offline

Default Radio Modifications

On Feb 2, 3:33 pm, "KE5MBX" wrote:

Well, the idea for emergencies is not so much the MURS as the police
frequencies. Thanks for your opinion.

Man, I'd stay away from that for sure. Messing around with the police
radio frequencies won't go over well and is sure to get you noticed.
Calling 911 is going to be more helpful in the face of a true
emergency, messing with a police repeater is only going to get folks
confused and delay getting you and others help.

In theory, you might be legal, but in practice you'd better be *sure*
there is a true emergency because you are surely going to have to
explain it to somebody. Don't do it...

If you are thinking "what about when the phones are down and I cannot
call 911?" then I'd say that disrupting the police for your own
"emergency" is even more problematic because there are likely many
folks in danger and your transmissions will only disrupt the whole
process.

Get an old cell phone and a car charger for it. Any cell phone that
has been "activated" sometime in the past can make calls to 911, even
if it has no service. Failing that, get out the repeater directory
and start calling on the nearest repeater you can hit.

-= Bob =-