Old February 7th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Stefan Wolfe Stefan Wolfe is offline

Default HD Radio

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 4, 8:23?pm, "Stefan Wolfe" wrote:
wrote in message

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 21:30:51 -0500, "Stefan Wolfe"
wrote:
Mors e Code has distorted the entire body of the ARS for ecades and will
contiue to do so for at least a generation after the end of the
testing

Wow...Morse code did all that?

The ARRL did it...

By the way, you've been a bit out of touch with digital
radio broadcasting. Digital radio has been going on
in HF bands for about 4 years now...doing what many
olde-tymers said was "impossible." Then you've
forgotten about the satellite downlinks for digital radio.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but it is rice box technology. I know of no hams
that have made homebrew digital transmitters; you have to buy them from
kenwood etc, thus the credit for the technology must be given to the
commerical manufacturers with no contribution from amateur radio licensees
other than for field testing it.

Of course I never thought about satellite downlinks because so few of us use
them. I know that what we do use is ancient technology compared to
commercial compressed digital; we only transmit staellite in analog format
and it is rather a waste of time/money.