Old February 7th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
U-Know-Who U-Know-Who is offline

Default Radio Modifications

"KC4UAI" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jan 31, 7:58 pm, "KE5MBX" I agree on the
MURS part after doing some reading. Seems to me though
that "you may use any means at your disposal in case of an emergency"
as the tech test says. I think you would even be legal in an
emergency.

Yea, sorry I didn't make that clear... In a true emergency you would
be "legal".. But how I define a true emergency and how the FCC does
may be different and I don't intend to argue the point with them
unless it's *really* clear cut. (and I don't have a working cell phone
on my person at the time.)

Personally, I'd expect to get better results on 2 Meters than
expecting somebody on the MURS service to help. I'd also expect that
if you are in a location where nobody is listening to the repeaters,
nobody is going to be hearing you on MURS bands either. I just don't
see the purpose in doing the modification myself.

A more useful way to deal with this is to add more ham bands to your
mobile capabilities. 10 Meters, 6 Meters and 440 are all good mobile
options. That and a recent copy of the Repeater Directory will get
you more help in almost all cases I can think of.

-= bob =-

Cell phones work wonders also.

http://www.usenet.com