Old February 8th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Dan Yemiola AI8O Dan Yemiola AI8O is offline

Default AFRTS

First make sure your radio is not drifting badly. (Usually not a concern
after it has been running for a few minutes)
Center your BFO control to the middle of its range
Use the main tuning to go slightly below or above 5446.5. (Try both above
and below with the main tuning.)
Turn the BFO control on (Select LSB or USB)
Turn the BFO control into the signal (slow and steady does it)

Try all four iterations of this untill you find a combination whose sound
you like
Main tuning low /LSB
Main tuning high/LSB
Main tuning low/ USB
Main tuning high USB

I don't know how wide your bandwidth is in the sideband modes, but it may be
too wide to effectively suppress the other sideband, consequently you may
not get good sounding audio no matter what you do.

Dan Yemiola

"Paul Zak" wrote in message
Can anyone educate me as to what is required, equipment wise, to listen to
the AFRTS broadcasts on 5446.5? I *think* I'm getting something on my
DX-302, but can't tune it so it comes in any better than the "Donald Duck"
voice no matter whether I select USB or LSB, and no matter where I tune
the
BFO pitch knob . . .