Old February 8th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Paul W. Schleck Paul W. Schleck is offline

Default Sad Story

In .com writes:

On Feb 7, 5:06 pm, "
wrote:

I am waiting for the first actor to have an amateur radio
license. Will the ARRL dub them a "HAM Actor?" :-)

Sweetums you silly old putz, once again you're demonstrating how
completely out of touch with ham radio you really are. You want actors
who have been or are hams? We got 'em Sweets. In spades. How 'bout
Marlon Brando KE6PZH/FO5GJ?

Yup. In his 1994 interview with Larry King:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...04/lkl.00.html

Mr. Brando confirmed it thusly:

[...]

CALLER: Hi, thanks for taking my call.

Mr. Brando, I hope this is not -- isn't a frivolous question, but I
understand you're a ham radio operator, or you were, and I wonder if
you'd mind talking about that? And I appreciate it.

BRANDO: I am a ham radio operator. And the thing I enjoyed about it is
anonymity, because When you call up and you say, "This is Marlon Brando
calling," they give you the routine -- any famous person.

KING: So what did you call as? What -- take a name, you mean?

BRANDO: Oh, I don't know. You call the store, and they say, "What's your
name?" "Marlon Brando," and they say, "Yes, I'm Greta Garbo," and they
hang up. And, so...

KING: It's fun, though?

BRANDO: What?

KING: It was fun?

BRANDO: I still am a ham radio operator. As a matter of fact, I'm
updating my license, and I think it's wonderful. And with the new
international highway of communications, it is now very quickly falling
upon us. It's going to be tied up with computers. As a matter fact, I'm
on Online America.

[...]

Or Priscilla Presley.

Certainly. Though you have to look her up under her maiden name of
"Beaulieu" to find her in the callbook (N6YOS).

Will Donnie Osmond
KA7EVD or Andy Devine WB^RER do? Then there's always Brigadier General
Jimmy Stewart N6KGB . . want the rest of the list?

N6KGB was not the actor credited as Jimmy Stewart ("It's a Wonderful
Life", "Mr Smith Goes to Washington", etc.). However, he was an actor,
who appeared in credits by another name, Stewart Granger:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001289/

I recommend him in "King Solomon's Mines" and "Prisoner of Zenda."

I say if such happened, AMPAS would have some unkind words
for the League...and some wide-ranging PR contacts of its
own that the ARRL could never top... :-)

w3rv