Old February 9th 07, 06:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Science Fair Project

On 8 Feb 2007 20:12:15 -0800, "T" wrote:

My question is: will this antenna, the loop stick antenna mentioned
above, boost the signal coming from my "transmitter" or will it just
allow my reciever to pick up the signal easier? or in other words how
will this antenna help me?

No one can tell how anything can help if you don't tell us what help
you need.

Being able to receive inches away speaks to an accomplishment, not a
problem. If you want to receive miles away, then the comparison
between what is accomplished and what is desired reveals the problem.

sorry if i wasn't clear enough before. i just thought you would
understand what i was talking about.

You never really "talked about" anything when the sum total of your
correspondence barely exceeds a half dozen lines up to this posting.

Now, we can all presume an intent, and that intent goes counter to
what is allowed by law, and that is long distance communication on
commercial frequencies by an unlicensed station. The law is
exceptionally clear as to how much power is allowed, into how large a
radiator, for unlicensed stations (such as yours). The long and short
of it is that without exceptionally good reception gear, that distance
is rarely more than across the room, or within a block.

Clearly, even these distances vastly exceed your current
accomplishment of a few inches because you could invest little more
effort into doing it with a modulated LED across the room. TV remotes
do this a billion times an hour world-wide.

Even with the allowed sized radiator, it is pathetically inefficient
(which is the intent of the law). The name of the game is called
matching, and a XTAL oscillator is a poor power source.

However, all of this is strictly window dressing unless the whole
scope of your Science Fair project is limited to building a working
transmitter. If so, you need to formulate better questions. If not,
you are spending too much time when you could build a Ramsey Kit in an
afternoon and get on with the grist of the project.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC