Old February 9th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Is there, or should there be, a Morse code beginner's frequency?

"KH6HZ" wrote in message
"robert casey" wrote:

At some point, there will be hams on HF who have not passed a code test,
but want to give Morse code a try on the air. Of course they're not
going to be that skillful at first. So maybe there should be an informal
subband or frequency for beginners and elmers to hang out.

Why not the Novice CW sub-bands?

Sounds like a good idea to me, to help those who want to learn.

73
kh6hz

I'd recommend that they go to frequencies in the general area of the FISTS
calling frequencies. This group is always willing to help a new comer and
there are people who regularly hang out there listening for someone new.

The old Novice bands would be a bit of a problem. With the change in
allocations that went into effect on December 15th, the 80m Novice subband
is now filled with SSB transmissions. Half of the 40m subband is also now
used for SSB.

Dee, N8UZE