Old February 9th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SamSez SamSez is offline

Default (OT) eBay and Sniping Service

Diana Satyr wrote in
:

In article . com,
"RHF" wrote:

On Feb 3, 8:23 am, "Mike" wrote:
"Diana Satyr" wrote in message

.. .

I snipe without use of a sniping service. All it takes is an
accurate clock.

Looks like my explanation of the value of sniping failed to take.
I'll try again. A well-off person will normally "value" any given
collectible at a higher
price than a poor person, because: (1) no-one knows the
"standard" price of most
collectibles, and (2) $500, say, looks to a rich person about
like maybe $50
does to a poor person, because the two amounts take similar
percentage bites out
of the discretionary income of each. I know this to be true. I've
been both
affluent and poor.

Except that if a more "well-off person" than you has already bid
$600, your snipe bid of $500 won't do you any good.

Sniping is pointless and way over-rated. High bid always wins.
Whether that high bid was placed in the first minute or last minute
doesn't matter. Bid the max amount you are willing to pay and
forget about it.

- If someone else is willing to pay more,
- it won't matter *when* he makes his bid.
-
- Mike

So my $1000 Last-Minute-Bid that arrives 30-Seconds-After
the eBay Auction "Closes" will always ensure that I WIN - Not !

With-in the Open-for-Bidding Time-Frame of an eBay Auction
the High Bid Always Wins -except- When the Seller 'rejects'
a Bidder and then the Next Higher Bidder may win -or- When
there is a Reserve Price and the High Bid is 'below' that Price.
- - - and, And. AND !

eBay - The Bidding Just Goes : on, and On. and ON ! ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Ah, but the rich person, being a good American, which is to say almost
a classic rational economic man, will still want to get a bargain if
he can--especially when buying on eBay, supposedly the home of
bargains, for goodness sake! Sometimes he will register with eBay a
top bid of less than he can afford to pay because he mistakenly thinks
that this is a case where a bargain can be had, or because he just
doesn't know the normal, higher value of the item. (Note the
relatively few special classes of auctions in which I said above that
sniping can work well.)

My job is to leave him under that illusion until the very last minute,
and THEN bid, cutting off his chance to bring into play his big bucks.

Hey, it's a pretty minor advantage that seldom works! But sometimes it
does. Anyway, it's fun to snipe. Think of the suspense you can enjoy
as you wait as long as you possibly can, calculating how much to
bid--high enough to possibly win but without going over your
guestimate of the normal sale price of this particular collectible,
wondering what the last possible moment is at which you can bid and
still get your bid in, given the nature of your online connection and
the state of the internet. You get a nice little rush of adrenalin at
the end there. Time and money well spent, I say.

Moonman

You truly don't get it, do you. Anyone who wants it has already bid his
max, and simply doesn't want to spend more than that for it. If
anything, he is laughing his ass off if you do out-bid him, as he has
aready bid all that it is worth. Glad you get a rush -- you made his
day.