Old February 9th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael Coslo Michael Coslo is offline

Default Antennas led astray

Cecil Moore wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote:
Doppler effect is readily observable at audio and RF wavelengths. It
is widely accepted that the effect continues at light wavelengths.

The question is: Are all frequency shifts in the
universe caused by Doppler effects? I say no.
I say some frequency shifts are relativity effects.

Which is the gravitational redshift. Or do you propose another type too?

The "expanding" space between two galaxies could be
a relativity effect and the shorter second due to
relativity effects naturally results in a lower
measured frequency.

Could be. My questions alway revolve around just what - or why - the
effect is. The great thing about Doppler is that it works on so many
scales. We should be able to perform experiments that will go a long way
toward determining if such an effect exists.

What I see however is that there are no great anomalies with the
present model. That doesn't make it right, but it does mean it pretty
much fits.

Relativity also works at speeds lower and more local than across the
universe, Astronauts and their craft who orbit the earth are "younger"
than they would have been if they stayed on Earth. We use accelerators
that act consistently with relativity. We probably should see some of
what you are thinking of.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -