Old February 9th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Larry Dighera Larry Dighera is offline

Default Antenna Questions

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 00:48:42 GMT, Father Mike
wrote in
:

Running 3 DX-ULTRA'S here. 2 way out back- one east to west, other north
to south. super antennas. quiet, build strong and heavy. super DX
antennas.
both have been up 8 winters in PA. the third one i set up as an inverted
"V" off the roof of the house. top of the V off a 10 ft. tripod and a 5 ft.
mast.
down to 2 15 ft gas pipes @ about 45 degree. using navel lanyard and
pulley's.
the inverted V picks up a bit of hash from the house, but still does a
good job.
i suggest mounting as in the picture on the Universal web site.

I was considering using a small mast on the roof of the highest part
of the house as a center support for the inverted 'V'. I suppose that
will somewhat defeat the low noise characteristics of the antenna due
to its close proximity to noise sources in the house. Thanks for that
information.

one note, these are manly antennas. heavy wire.

What sort of wire is it, copper-clad steel, solid copper, gage?

when you unroll it from the bag, be ready to do a lot of wire pulling
and straightening. i did all three in the yard, between 2 heavy poles.
after you roll and assemble, let them hang and stretch a day or 2.

That's an excellent suggestion. I'd not have thought of it.

you may want to read the report in "Passport". if i remember, the
DX-Ultra got 5 stars.

I'm sorry, but I'm unfamiliar with Passport; have you got a link?

it's a bit of work, because the wire is solid, but well worth the
effort. this last week, here in Western PA, we have had -20
wind chills, the 3 were were covered with ice- and they are still up there
and working. well worth the money.

GOOD DX!
Father Michael.

Thank you for the information. It looked like a well engineered and
professionally manufactured product.