Old February 9th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Larry Dighera Larry Dighera is offline

Default Antenna Questions

On 9 Feb 2007 05:58:42 -0800, "wb5kcm" wrote in
.com:

On Feb 8, 2:29 pm, Larry Dighera wrote:

[snip]
VHF Antenna:http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ants/1205.html
The Hustler DCX is a discone base antenna that provides good
omni-directional coverage from 40 to 999 MHz. This 55 inch high (1.4
m) omnidirectional antenna easily mounts to any mast (not supplied)
with supplied hardware. The disc elements are 20 inches. Weight is 2.5
lbs. Has SO-239 to accept PL-259 plug.

[snip]

Just a quick comment about your VHF/UHF antenna. I have been using a
discone type antenna for several years and find it to be fine for
general VHF/UHF monitoring. It will work over a vast frequency range.
If you are needing long range capability on some specific frequencies
this may not be your best choice. The discone seems to perform well
for monitoring signals coming in at a high angle, such as aircraft.
Just monitoring local activity it is fine. If you are trying to hear
mobiles at 50 miles away you may need another type of antenna. Good
luck with all your monitoring. 73 de Randy, WB5KCM

That is interesting news. As a pilot, I do intend to monitor air
communications. However, from the information you have provided, it
would seem that distant, low-level aircraft may not provide a good
signal with a discone. Have you a recommendation for another type of
omni-directional VHF antenna for 108-174 MHz?