Old February 9th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller Bob Miller is offline

Default Antenna Questions

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 16:49:19 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:07:51 -0600, Bob Miller
wrote in :

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:29:00 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

[snip]
HF Antenna:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3377.html
The Alpha Delta DX-ULTRA

I had a sloper version of this antenna about 15 years ago for
listening purposes. Excellent reception, and built like a tank.

I wonder what the performance difference would be between the inverted
'V' and the 'Sloper?' In light of your comment below, the end-fed
sloper might be a better choice easthetically.

I don't know whether there would be a performance difference that you
could hear, but the sloper is basically one half of the dipole you've
ordered, and fed from the end. It would be more dependant on having a
good ground to work against. The dipole doesn't need a ground
connection.

It's pretty visible -- not exactly a stealthy antenna, but works
awfully well.

bob
k5qwg

That's good to know. I suppose the antenna element insulation is
black not gray. I wonder if there's any way to change that. I
suppose a latex-based paint would work to change the color to
something less obtrusive until it pealed off. Any thoughts.

It's heavy wire with black insulation, plus there are spacers between
the dipole elements, plus there are coils that have a white round form
wrapped with wire. I suppose you could spray paint it all sky blue, I
dunno.

Still, it's all the different elements that make it work well at
different frequencies, versus the single resonant frequency of a
simple dipole of only one length.

Bob
k5qwg

Thank you for sharing your first hand experience with Alpha-Delta
products. Much appreciated.