Old February 9th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ron Hardin Ron Hardin is offline

Default DSP noise reduction

Steve wrote:

When it comes to DSP noise reduction, is there anything around
nowadays that can better one of the old Clearspeech base units?

I haven't seen anything since those old Amcom Inc devices (I have
three of them - they're great also for cleaning up microphone output of
outdoor noise, to bring out (say) birds, and suppress traffic.)

If you have certain kinds of noise, the Timewave 599zx is okay;
a nice AGC, brickwall filters (perfect for SSB where an interfering
SSB station is offset in the direction of the sideband), but general
nonlinear noise reduction it's inferior to clearspeech. Timewave for
linear filtering, Amcom for nonlinear, I guess is the breakdown.

Heil Sound had a really wretched implementation of clearspeech
after Amcom left, but some people claim to like it. I think there
was some huge engineering error in it though, feedback, very little
audio, and so forth. It sits in my junk box.
--
Ron Hardin