Old February 10th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Harrison Richard Harrison is offline

Default Science Fair Project

Taylor wrote:
"I`m working on a science fair project. I`m building an am-radio
transmitter. I can only be a few inches from the receiver. --------"

The information is sparse but may be enough.

Kits are available for low-powered transmitters which are restricted by
law to a short wire antenna to avoid harmful interference.

My experience is that this is adequate. The receiving antenna is almost
unrestricted. It may extend to closely couple with the transmitting
antenna, though this is rarely required.

Most receivers are capable of receiving a very weak signal which means
the receiving antenna can be distant from the transmitting antenna.

A transmitted signal propagating in free space loses 22 dB in its first
wavelength of travel from the transmitting antenna, 300 meters at 1 MHz,
and then loses an additional 6 dB every time the distance from the
transmitting antenna doubles after that.

So, the tiny phono oscillator with almost no antenna can be heard at a
considerable distance.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI