Old February 10th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default Is there, or should there be, a Morse code beginner's frequency?

On Feb 9, 11:47?pm, wrote:
On Feb 9, 6:29 pm, wrote:

On Feb 8, 9:37?pm, robert casey wrote:

At some point, there will be hams on
HF who have not passed a code test,
but want to give Morse code a try on the air.

Yup.

?Of course they're not
going to be that skillful at first.

Let's not assume that.

?So maybe there should be an
informal subband or frequency for beginners and elmers to hang out.

3.525 to 3.600 MHz
7.025 to 7.125 MHz
21.025 to 21.200 MHz
28.0 to 28.5 MHz

Right now, all the above frequencies are available to all FCC licensed
amateurs who have passed a Morse Code test. They are the current
"Novice bands".

On February 23, they will be available to all FCC licensed amateurs.

What better place to use Morse Code?

I suggest 3.550 and 7.050 as "watering holes".

Counterproposal:

For Casey's concept to work the QRS freqs should be where the CW
activity lives in it's largest volumes 24/7. 40M any time but mostly
at night and 20M anytime but mostly during daylight hours.

Techs and Novices don't have 20. Late at night
even 40 gets iffy.

It's unreasonable to expect slocode learners and elmers to latch up
reliably on more than a couple bands at most. So there goes 80, 15,
10M and the WARC bands.

At this time of the sunspot cycle, 80 is the most reliable after
dark.

Novices and Techs don't have the WARC bands so they're not a good
choice.

7.050 at the top of the hour and 14.050 at the half hour marks.

Works for me. Plus 3.550 on the quarter hours

73 de Jim, N2EY