Old April 3rd 04, 03:59 AM
Gary P. Fiber

I have a cheapo 8 cell pack, and it is too much for the IC-2AT, 3AT,
4AT, U12, V12 line. I jumpered a wire across two of the battery
positions, so it ends up being a 6 v pack, like the original Icom aa
pack was.

As far as nicad / nimh packs, a b3 2, 3, or 8 will definately work
with this radio.

Yes you never want to put anything over 10.8 volts on the 2,3 and 4AT
service. I know some have used 12 volts. I have seen many with the
final burned out because of it. Even the DC-1 battery eliminator
produces 9.6 volts.

The input ports on the BP-5A and BP-7 are for battery recharging only.
There is a little relay that splits the internal battery pack in half
for recharging once you connect DC or the wall charger to the jacks.

Hope this helps and the idea of removing two cells and shorting the
contacts so 6 cells will work is a good idea.

Gary K8IZ
Washington State Resident
Registered Linux User # 312991