Old February 12th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Steve-KF2TI Steve-KF2TI is offline

Default killing cars with RF?

In article .com,
says...
Hi,
What's all this business I hear people talking about blasting people's
car stereos or killing cars altogether with high-power RF? I run 2m,
10m, and 11m in my jeep and I'd like to sort out the fact from the
legend and find out what kind of power I can use without risking
damage to my jeep or cars around me. At what power level is front-end
overload to a nearby radio likely? At what power level is damage
likely, and to what componets?

I am currently using only 50 watts on a 5/8 wave (2m), 25w on a 1/4
wave (10m), legal 4w on a 1/4 wave (11m)

Thanks,
Nelson KE5MBX

Eveing Nelson,

I ran 2 Jeeps with a 706 in it. 20 watts on 2 meters, 100 watts on both
6 and HF

Make sure your amataur gear is thoughily grounded. If possible, keep
the main unit as far to the rear of the jeep as possible Run the power
from the battery (with appropriate fusing) and not the cigarette lighter
or accessory outlet

I did get some stereo front-end overload, mostly on 40 meters, so I
turned the stereo volume down

Each jeep left this wokrd with over 250k miles and I never had to
replace any audio component or vehicle computer component

But, yes, if you damage many components if you aren't careful with your
installation

GL

Steve KF2TI
usually mobile 17 meters