Old February 13th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave
Stefan Wolfe Stefan Wolfe is offline

Default ARRL Now Only Wants No Code Hams - Holding Midnight Exams

"policy-ham" wrote in message
oups.com...
Found on qrz.com. The ARRL now only wants only no code hams. And as
for the rest of us?

Not true what you say about the ARRL. Amateur radio is only as good as the
effort you put into it. If you can't do code, you cannot communicate with a
huge subset of the amateur population. That is a fact. You never will be
able to so until your learn code, FCC requirement or no FCC requirement.
There is some DX you will never get, some countries you may never contact,
many people you will never meet.

Some no-coders sound like the gay rights lobby: They seem to be trying to
make no-code the "norm". "I want you to think I am normal". "I am as just
good as you, I can do HF now, I can be a real 'Ham'". (Gays can get
"married"). True by regulation, but not really in practice.

In the foreseeable future you will never truly be a ham until you can QSO in
code; you will only hold a piece of paper authorizing you to communicate on
HF. Don't shoot the messanger. Don't bother disagreeing with me; it is the
large subset of the amateur base that you have to convince and,
unfortunately, that will take a while to change IF it ever does change. When
people are sick of SSB QRM or we cannot QSO by voice due to conditions, we
can simply move to the CW sub-bands and you are left "holding the mike".

As Walter Cronkite used to say. "That's the way it is..." February 23, 2007.