Old April 7th 04, 08:01 PM
Civalo

I'm leaning heavly to mobile. I used to be on the CB a lot when I lived in
a smaller town. Always used a mobile then.

Eventually I may figure out someway to use a mobile in a vehicle as a
repeater for a handheld. Has this been done for amatuer use already?

Thanks

Jonathan
"Incognito" wrote in message
Jonathan

Evaluate your needs whether HT or mobile or base.

Typically the new licensee purchases a Handi-Talkie (HT) for VHF/UHF, but
later find they are using their first radio mostly in a mobile or at a

home
base station. A mobile rig can be easily switched back and forth between

the
vehicle and a base location and offers considerable advantages over an HT.

This is not to bad-mouth the HTs, they are great for carrying in your

shirt
pocket or belt clip for pedestrian use, public relations activities, and
traveling light. Just be aware of their limitations and intended use. They
certainly can be used for base and mobile applications, but better

antennas
and DC power sources are definitely something to consider when you settle

in
on an HT.

A mobile radio on the other hand can transmit up to 70 Watts, operates off
of car DC power or a DC power supply at the base location and can use an
antenna which typically is vastly superior to a rubber duck. Operating

range
will be considerably greater with the higher power and good antenna.

Prices
are about the same. So evaluate your needs and decide which starter radio

is
best for you. Many eventually end up with both mobile and HT rigs.

--
Incognito By Necessity (:-(

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
- - -Harry S Truman

"Civalo" wrote in message
I'm looking at getting my liscence (within the next week) and getting

setup
on 2m band. Anyone know of a good deal on a 2 meter setup? If not, can
anyone recomend a good redio for beginners. I'm a bit of a tech junky,
know a lot about electronics, programming etc. So I'm not too worried

about
ease of operation.

Any info would be great.

Thanks