Old February 14th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Leo Leo is offline

Default Quantity Over Quality (Was: Unwritten policy and the intent of the average amateur ...)

On 13 Feb 2007 21:59:43 -0800, "
wrote:

On Feb 13, 7:15?pm, Leo wrote:
On 13 Feb 2007 16:43:31 -0800, wrote:

On Feb 13, 5:13?pm, Leo wrote:
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:12:59 -0500, Leo wrote:
On 8 Feb 2007 18:01:57 -0800, wrote:

On Feb 8, 8:40?pm, Leo wrote:
On 8 Feb 2007 17:35:24 -0800, wrote:

On Feb 8, 5:35?pm, Leo wrote:

I'm guessing that you aren't employed by NASA.....

Cranky NEVER worked for the US government, NEVER
served in the US military. But...he IS "authority" on
all things involved with them... :-)

Twice in each orbit, the earth-to-moon distance is exactly 250,000
miles, btw.

Twice each day, a stopped watch is accurate, Jim......just like this
miscalculation - er, approximation....whatever you say

If 250,000 miles isn't accurate enough for you, then you must fault
your buddy Len too. Because he stated the distance as a quarter
million miles....

Hiding behind Len now, are we....?

Never thought I'd see the day!

(him too, I'd reckon.....)

TRUE! Maybe it's because tomorrow (the 14th) is Valentine's
Day and he has a crush on me? :-( [horrors!]

Gaaaaaaaaaah! What an image that created!!!

Quick....pass the mental floss!

Yup, I made an error on the Earth-to-Mars distance. So what? The error
was corrected.

By Len, actually. Not by you!

(you left it sit until 2 days later (August 9th), after several posts
pointing it out.......and even then, you tried to obscure it with a
new set of calcs - quite redundant, in fact, as the correct numbers
were already supplied in the posts immediately following the error.

That was quite odd.

I thought it quite SOP (Standard Operating Practice) of him.

It seems to be......it's odd, though.

Did I make fun of their education?

...now that would have been funny!

Ho, ho!

Why should I reply to someone who is anonymous?

Just thinking of that now?

Anonymous' means 'Having an unknown or unacknowledged name'.

ine's
Leo! (duh!)

You yourself have 'acknowledged' it many times in past correspondence
with me, over the past three years.

You forgot, huh? understand.

Tsk, one of the first signs of dreaded Alzheimer's...

....or Wizenheimers....

But he was wrong. 100% mistaken.

That puts you in good company, Jim - 9ou have been a member of the
100%er's club too!

Cranky? He is NEVER wrong, mistaken, in error, or anything
else...by his own emission.

Which, of course, would also be wrong! (wonder how many wrongs make a
right?)

Actually, Len was only off a few fractions of a percent, by your own -
ahem - calculations. ou, however, were definitely in the 100%-plus
error category. alactically speaking, of course.

I wonder on how many spacecraft this double-degreed
wonderman has worked? "NASA-aly" speaking of
course.

....I can picture him at the controls of Rocketship X-8, one hand on
the controls and the other tuning his trusty recycled BC-221 frequency
meter (reference: his homepage - looks like the set of "Plan 9 From
Outer Space, sans shower curtain and collander helmets) as he heads
off on the first manned mission to Mars.....wherever that
is.....shoulda verified those calcs....!*#$%^....

Mental picture of Cranky Spanky trying to "correct" the
guys at JPL, especially their QC folks. :-)

He once claimed that Industry Canada was wrong......look out, JPL!

But the percentage difference doesn't matter. Len did not specify
"approximately" or cite any numbers in his claim

He didn't specify approximately, but he cited many, many numbers in
his claim!

In fact, his claim was based on numbers.....

Hmmm...my only "claim" is on my southern house deed.
All numbers again. Surveyor did them. Same with the
Northern House but in a different house, different country
different state.

The earth-to-moon distance is approximately 250,000 miles. Both Len
and I agree on that.

Too approximate. ou're either precise or approximate - you can't
have it both ways!

He wants to have his cake and eat anyone who says he can't!

Heh.....that's fer sure! More bark than bite, though......

Twice per orbit, the earth-to-moon distance is exactly 250,000 miles.

Stopped watch theory. ee above.

Cranky ought to apply for a job at NIST. He's got an Allan
Variance no one would believe!

now THAT'S funny! Best one yet!

Note: You can lead a horologist to water but you can't
make him prostitute himself...

True...but if he fell in, would he be a clock soaker?

The Technician class is *not* now bigger
than all other US license classes combined.
And if present trends continue, it never will be.

Perhaps! erhaps not.

No two ways there. If Cranky conceived it, it will
happen. In his mind at least.

Why is the word "abbreviation" so long?

Good question....even abbreviated, it's too long!

And remember, today is the day your all worried about
yesterday...

LA

73, Leo