Old February 15th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default killing cars with RF?

Roger wrote:
CB-er in a large van passed next to me. He had one of those stupid fat
antennas with the gigantic "loading coil," and had to have been running

You are not describing a CB antenna.

Actually, he might well be. Perhaps you're lucky enough
not to have any of these people where you live, but in
my neck of the woods, in some lower-socioeconomic-status
neighborhoods, there was a wave of enormous CB antennas
with HUGE open-wire loading coils at the base, ones that
appeared to be made of 3/8" copper tubing or something
along those lines. No telling if the coils did anything
or were just for show; some of the CBers used high power
and others poured their 4 watts into these enormous
whips .. I'm seeing fewer of them on the roads these
days but they're still around. :-/

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001