Old February 15th 07, 10:30 AM posted to aus.radio.broadcast,rec.radio.shortwave
matt cook matt cook is offline

Default RDS-FM versus AM-SS - Data steam systems for radio

On Feb 13, 10:09 pm, "The Philestine" wrote:

Someone needs to tell the gov't regulator ACMA to encourage manufacturers to
supply the market with devices that uses clever technological addtions (RDS)
and cover the higher frequencies on the AM band. If people could tune to
these Extended AM stations on their regular everyday radios, then operators
with NAS licences might start using their assets to provide interesting
services, and thereby enhance diversity in the marketplace. Radio Brisvaani
is a shining example of what can be done with a little effort, but any
Indian or Fijian who want to tune in more often than not has to go and buy a
new radio from DSE! We won't talk about World Audio!

I've heard some minor players don't use RDS because allocating it
energy lessens the amount that can legally be used for the audio. The
power usage is the same, but the audio is a tiny bit quieter.

RDS decoding is pretty standard for car audio units from the last few
years at least.

As for what freqs a particular radio can receive, it's all down to the
market. If shops thought they could sell everyone a new radio or two
to listen to all the great new stations on the x-band, they would.
I've noticed an increased number of radios that can receive the audio
from the bottom of the TV band in Asian shops recently.