Old February 15th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default Largest Amateur Radio Organization?

On Feb 15, 11:06�am, Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 15, 5:47 am, wrote:
On Feb 14, 11:36?pm, Dave Heil wrote:

In amateur radio, it is the biggest potato there is, here in the U.S.
Actually, Dave, I think the ARRL may be the largest amateur radio
organization in the world, or at least the largest national amateur
radio
organization.

According towww.AH0A.org, JARL membership is now well under
100,000. What other amateur radio organization even comes close
to 100,000 members?

For now yup prolly but there's some cryptic chatter in the Back
Channel about Sweetums' French cousin Foghorn LePutz pulling together
a huge organization of Eurohams which will publish it's annual budget
and won't have "Members only" pages in it's website.

I can see it now: *There'll be a massive, multi-cultural EU-Ham
organization, made up of radio amateurs from all EU countries. *

Even if that happened, it would not be a national organization unless
the EU became one nation.

It will
have an open web site, no annual dues and will give away its
publications. *Publications will be produced in all of the languages of
the EU member states.

All of this will be take place after the ten-year discussion period.

HAW!!

--

Actually we've had a multinational amateur radio organization since
1925 - the IARU. But it's not really the same thing as RSGB, JARL,

The question of who founded the IARU is left as an exercise for the
reader.

--

btw, there have been a couple of national amateur radio organizations
besides ARRL down through the decades. But except for the ARRL, they

For example, the restructuring of 1951, which (among other things)
gave us the modern Amateur Extra license, was strongly influenced by
two relatively small amateur radio organizations who felt the old
Class A requirements weren't high enough. (The creation of the Extra
class was *opposed* by ARRL, in fact.) Those two organizations are
long gone, but the skeleton of the license structure remains.

73 de Jim, N2EY