Old February 16th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
rdoc rdoc is offline

Default Antenna Question... 2 meters maybe?

Hello again,

Background:

I use a scanner as part of my rail photography hobby. I listen, mostly, to
160.800, but not exclusively (I sometimes travel for gatherings of other
rail photogs or see what I can catch when I'm in other areas), although this
one also seems to be about the middle of the AAR band. I listen in the car
and also while hiking to some remote areas for good scenery.

On one car I have a magnetic (good for me) center loaded Hustler that a very
reputable car audio shop sold me saying that all the truckers there like it
best. It does OK, but I wondered if I could do better.

A guy at work told me that 160.800 is right in the middle of the 2 meter
band, but he doesn't have a radio and can't say how he knows this. He's one
of those guys who's right about odd tidbits often enough to sometimes check
what he says... but so 'full of it' often enough that I *always* check what
he says before actually using any of his suggestions, if you know the type.

Questions:

Is he accurate on this one?

What is a good antenna for this purpose? Is there a removable version?

What about one for using on the scanner as a portable clipped to my belt?

Thanks for any suggestions or input on the topic.