Old February 18th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Pete KE9OA Pete KE9OA is offline

Default Cobra 2010 loses Tx audio

That sounds good.............I will probably scan the service info in the
next couple of weeks. now, about the receiver desensing.....I don't have any
problems with IMD in the receiver, and a diode attenuator is used in the
front end. I have found that IMD performance can be improved by changing
that general purpose switching diode in the front to a 1N5767 PIN diode. I
wanted to get started on this project this afternoon, but a friend stopped
over. I'll give it a whirl tonight. It will be quite a nice radio, once I
get through with it.

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 15:49:51 -0600, "Pete KE9OA"
wrote in
:

Sounds like it might be a little too hot for the band.....

I am not sure what you mean.

I have found that it's sometimes better to DE-sensitize the receiver
front-end on a noisy band. Tends to improve S/N.

I do have the service
manual, but I have never seen this kind of problem.

Never assume the manual is correct. Establish a baseline by injecting
a single tone post-AGC, run it up to 100% and measure. Then re-align
the AGC to your mic according to that baseline.

I might inject the signal right at the audio amplifier and work backwards.

Same difference.

For testing purposes, I am using a CT Systems Model 3000B Communications
Test Set. For the brief time that Tx audio is present, the modulation
envelope looks fine. This unit has a built in 100W dummy load.
RF output is flat across the band, at 4.5W, so it doesn't look like
somebody
tried to align the exciter/output stages.

Sounds like it may have an RF limiter. If you have a pulse generator,
hit the audio with 0.1ms spikes. That will also tell you if the audio
limiter has been disabled.

I'll give that at ry.

It looks like I will have to do some signal tracing with an o'scope.
Hopefully, I will be able to find that 5-pin mic plug so I can make up a
test cable. Thanks again for the advice!

No problem. If you ever get around to scanning the manual I wouldn't
mind having a copy.

I will do that. I only can scan up to 11 X 14 size, so the schematics will
be broken pages,but that should be fine.

No hurry. I only get a couple CB radios a year, so it's hard to tell
if or when I'll run across this model. There really should be a public
CB manual repository like BAMA..... maybe some day.