Old February 20th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
laura halliday laura halliday is offline

Default Continuous Phase Modulation

On Feb 11, 1:42 pm, "W3JDR" wrote:
Does anyone know if continuous phase modulation (CPM) of the RF carrier will
work with PSK31 systems?

(snip...)

The DDS chips used in a lot of new QRP designs commonly have a programmable
phase-offset register which adds a constant phase offset to the RF carrier
generated by the chip in very small phase steps. It seems to me that a very
well-controlled, constant envelope phase modulated signal could be generated
by sequencing the phase offset register through all the values in a
raised-cosine pulse prior at the transitions of each transmitted symbol.
This would result in a very simple, bandwidth-efficient, constant-envelope
PSK31 transmitter implementation in QRP rigs that employ DDS.

(snip...)

Is there a flaw in this reasoning?

Joe
W3JDR

The phase transitions will use bandwidth too.

We already know the power spectral density of PSK31.
What is the power spectral density of your proposal?
Numbers, please.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte