Old February 21st 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Harold E. Johnson Harold E. Johnson is offline

Default opinion about MAR mimic

"MAc" wrote in message
Did anybody use MAR as a HF(1.8-28MHz) (not VHF) preamplifire?

What about results?
Any usable links or advices?

Thanks in advance.
MAc
sp9mrn

GM Mac, all the time! In a shop environment, not as an RF preamp on the air
since I don't have any need for that. I use an INA 02186 (roughly equal to
the MAR 8), to depress the noise figure of an old HP 312 selective Voltmeter
when I need it, Also MAR 4 to boost a DDS output that runs 7-35 MHz.

Unless you're running a very inefficient antenna, you shouldn't need a
preamp for anything 2-30 MHz with any reasonable receiver. I HAVE used the
above INA 02186 for a beverage antenna amplifier. Not for myself but for a
friend with a 500 foot beverage. Worked fine.

W4ZCB