Old February 21st 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
tack tack is offline

Default CW Bands

On Feb 19, 6:24 pm, wrote:
On Feb 19, 6:53?pm, "
wrote:

On Feb 19, 10:02?am, wrote:

(whole lot of stuff that was snipped)

? ?Policy matters-arguments-discussions belong on
? ?rec.radio.amateur.policy.

Is this a moderated newsgroup?

Are you the moderator?

? ?This newsgroup is for experimentation and building
? ?radio-electronics in the home workshop.

Really?

The post of yours that I replied to contained comments
on the railroad system, landline telegraph communications,
Knott's Berry Farm and other tourist attractions, stagecoaches, wives-
and-families, your lack of use of
Morse Code in military communications, your parents
watching the lunar landings on TV, and keyless auto security systems.

I don't see a single word from you in that posting
about "experimentation and building radio-electronics
in the home workshop."

It also contained this personal policy statement from you:

"I have nothing against telegraphic skills nor anyone using
those for personal pleasure. However, in the light of
advancement of the electronic arts, communications,
radio, methods that ALL of us can share, I think there
is an over-much emphasis by radio hobbyists on
telegraphic arts. Manual telegraphy IS a historic first
but it has been supplanted in practical communications
means at our disposal...on land, in the air, on the sea,
and in space.

I think we should be looking FORWARD to the future, not
back to the past. Others disagree. I leave it at that."

Sure sounds like you were having a policy discussion
to me!

Jim, N2EY

Here is an example of my second biggest peeve of these groups (the
first being spam). It's ego posts. LenAnderson seems to be intent on
demonstrating that he is the final authority; with an encyclopedic
knowledge of all he is typing about. And a few put-downs here and
there. Example: Ken Scharf made an interesting comment: "Also as sent
over the land line the operator had to listen for the gap between
clicks NOT the sound of the clicks! Try that folks!" Professor
Anderson had to reply with: "Irrelevant as to what any telegraph
operator did prior to
1900...except for historical notation." I applaud Ian White for
his gentle rebuttal of Anderson; but of course "Professor" Anderson
cannot be treated in such a manner. But I liked Jim, N2EY's
"comeback" better. Even though it was a bit off topic, this was a
nice discussion before the history lessons. I love history and I
believe that it is extremely important (under taught) but I perceive
that the spirit here was not to teach and inform. I am rather new to
these google groups, usually not having to time to sit here sorting
through posts and typing in some myself. But I have recently become
somewhat disabled (military service). I have a life-long interest in
vintage electronics, collect short-wave radios, and designed and built
my own receiver. I came to these Google groups looking to receive and
to share. It is distressing to witness ego flare-ups. Does this
happen often here? I've seen it a few times on other groups, and on
Yahoo.
Say, can anyone point me to some information on creating my own filter
chokes? Is there a source that anyone knows of for silicon-iron core
plates? Thanks
By the way, I despise flaming and I came a bit close to flaming
Anderson, but couldn't help but say something about a monologue like
his.