Old February 22nd 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
[email protected] N2EY@AOL.COM is offline

Default Making Filter Chokes

On Feb 21, 12:56�pm, "tack" wrote:

Say, can anyone point me to some information
on creating my own filter
chokes?

What size? Do you mean the type commonly used in
hollow-state gear - several henries at a couple of dozen
to a couple of hundred milliamps, insulated for hundreds
or thousands of volts?

If so, there is some info in older ARRL Handbooks and
in older versions of "Reference Data For Radio Engineers".

I can look up some details if needed.

*Is there a source that anyone knows of for silicon-iron
core plates? *

aka laminations

I googled "silicon iron transformer laminations" and found
a lot of stuff. Take a look. But I suspect that they may be
geared to production quantity orders.

One common source is the power transformer from an
old microwave oven. These are often welded together,
rather than bolted, and it may take a bit of work with a grinder to
get the core apart.

73 de Jim, N2EY