Old February 22nd 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
John Smith I John Smith I is offline

Default No Code VEC

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith I wrote:
Let us see high school electronic classes assisting students get ham
tickets.

I teach GED classes in the local cisd system. The
web server firewall blocks access to anything associated
with amateur radio because it is "entertainment".
www.arrl.org access is blocked right along with all the
other undesirable web sites. My protestations have
fallen on deaf ears.

Cecil:

I was lucky, we got the college to purchase "sheriff cards" for ALL the
PCs in our computer labs.

Each time a new student logs on, the OS is complete reinstalled in
memory and rebooted--NO TROJANS, NO KEY-LOGGERS, NO VIRUSES, ETC. And,
this is QUICK!!!

There is not a site on the planet we have to "shield" our computers
and/or labs from, free speech and free access to information is the
foundation of our labs. The students at our institution are privileged
to the most democratic form of data sharing I can possibly imagine, the
value of this is demonstrated by the caliber and quality of our CS grads.

However, this was a hard fought fight. With the IT management and
security fighting every move towards open access ...

Ignorance, control and "secrets" are the most evil of evils ...

Regards,
JS