Old February 22nd 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Eric Eric is offline

Default "Noise" antenna for MFJ-1026 "Noise Canceling Signal Enhancer"

I have the MFJ-1026 what they grandly call a "Deluxe Noise Canceling
Signal Enhancer" (as contrasted with the plain old non-deluxe version, I
guess).

The main station antenna is a 160-meter inverted vee up about 40 feet and
fed with ladder line, used on all bands 160-10. The noise antenna is an
80-meter dipole up about 20 feet, fed with coax, and oriented about 60
degrees off of the plane of the inverted vee.

There are times when the noise canceler works really well, and other times
when it works hardly at all. I know that when you get noise from all
directions, there isn't much an active noise canceling device can do about
it. Still, I'm wondering if there is something I can do to make it work
better.

Is there another kind of noise antenna that I could use that would work
better a larger percentage of the time?

Someone told me that an active receiving antenna (a relatively short whip
with a preamp that's mounted at the antenna) could work better, but I'd
need something that's broadband through the 160-10 meter range that
wouldn't have to be tuned.

Any suggestions? Thanks...