Old February 23rd 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
KH6HZ KH6HZ is offline

Default Now that CW is gone there will be more ham to non-ham conflicts.

"Scott Dorsey" wrote:

This is a good argument to strongly tighten up the technical requirements
for the license, not an argument in favor of CW requirements.

I've been in favor of this stance for almost a decade.

In my Y2K restructuring comments, I argued for a reduction in the number of
license classes to only 2 (One 50MHZ only, one all privileges), ultimate
elimination of the code test (I favored a 5wpm reduction with eventual
'sunset clause' once the treaty requirement was changed), and strengthing
the theory examinations.

The problem I see with the theory examinations, as currently structured, is
they do not require applicants to demonstrate a full understanding of the
topical material.

For example, the way the current examinations are structured, you could get
wrong each and every question on rules and regulations -- yet still pass the
examination because you have good math skills.

Instead, I feel each applicant should be required to pass every sub-element,
with a score of 70% or higher. So, you would have to get 70%+ on the rules
and regs, 70%+ on antenna theory, etc. I made many of these points in my Y2K
restructuring comments.

However, it is highly unlikely that the FCC will ever adopt such a strategy.
The trend is to make licensing easier and easier. I suspect over the next 2
decades you'll see a further push to weaken the theory examinations.
Probably not for the next 5 years or so, but eventually some people will
start to make the claim that the "hard" theory exams are keeping "potential"
people away from the ARS.

This is unfortunate, because in the long term I do not think it helps the
amateur radio service. Our knowledge of things "radio" -- propagation,
electronics, etc. -- is what has set us apart from other "consumer"-type
radio services.

73
kh6hz