Old February 23rd 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default 813's as Modulators

Tim Shoppa wrote:

On Feb 23, 10:52 am, Tim Wescott wrote:

Please post a schematic on your web site!

Tim -
You might be surprised how few parts there are in a classical zero-
bias class-B modulator.

There's a schematic in the 50's/60's ARRL handbooks, and the ENTIRE
circuit is two 811A's and an output transformer. That's it!

This simplicity is the cunning advantage and popularity of zero-bias
triodes (or zero-bias-triode operation of the other tubes). Once you
get to beam tubes/pentodes with all their bias supplies and screen
supplies and power-supply-sequencing etc. you start getting into
having to draw schematics.

Later editions added a pi filter on the output to reduce "splatter"
and a control relay to remove plate voltage on receive.

Tim.

I guess I'm more interested in knowing what the supply and grid voltages
are, transformer ratios, a bill of materials, that sort of thing.

Yes, you are correct that the schematic of a one cubic foot, 100 pound
monster amplifier could be drawn on a business card, but still...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/