Old February 23rd 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] nsarejectnsareject@yahoo.com is offline

Default Night time AM IBOC - not a question of "If," it's a question of "When."

On Feb 23, 5:26�pm, "Guerite�" wrote:
"A recent Arbitron/Edison Media Research study found that more than
one-third of Americans are interested in HD Radio, but nearly half said they
would only purchase an HD Radio if it cost $100 or less."

http://www.hdradio.com

RW: What are your thoughts about whether or how AM should go digital at
night?

Mathews: I think there are problematic issues. The long and short of it is a
lot of AM stations, just like FMs, have been getting reception in areas
where they aren't really technically protected. . But, at some point . they'
re going to have to give up what they've been sort of getting for free all
this time anyway, that sort of non-protected listening area. .

[TRANLATION (in the voice of Don La Fontaine): *AM IBOC DXing IS FOR REAL!]

RW: Because AM has to go digital at night. .

Mathews: It's one of those things where everybody is saying, "It can't
happen."
And I've said this from the beginning on HD, none of this is a question of
"If," it's a question of "When."

RW: Do your listeners notice when you go digital?

Mathews: They have no concept unless they have an HD Radio.

http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0049/t.352.html

Just as " has no concept.

Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre
quod credis.http://www.FrontPageMag.comhttp://Ch...onTheMovie.com

"Dead Technology Walking"

"Deader than Microsoft's new iPod competitor Zune this holiday gift
buying season will be HD radio. Expensive. It has no rhyme nor reason
to anyone who doesn't own or operate a radio station. It's remarkable
to me that any sane radio executive can believe that HD radio will
give the industry the rebirth it needs to satisfy its prime audience
-- Wall Street investors -- I mean, listeners."

http://insidemusicmedia.blogspot.com...y-walking.html

"In-Stat: Digital Radio Set to Take Off"

"In 2006, 73 percent of respondents to an In-Stat U.S. consumer survey
were aware of HD Radio on some level."

http://beradio.com/eyeoniboc/instat-digital-radio-set/

"Sirius, XM, and HD: Consumer interest reality check" (Alexaholic)

"While interest in satellite radio is diminishing, interest in HD
shows no signs of a pulse."

http://www.hear2.com/2007/02/sirius_....html#comments

This just confirms, the lack of interest for HD Radio, on Google
Trends:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22hd... =all&date=all

"Rethinking AM's Future"

"Only 175 or so AM stations have even licensed AM-HD. For a number of
reasons, quite a few have tried it and taken it off the air, or so the
anecdotal evidence suggests. Ibiquity no longer reports in its public
summaries whether a station is on the air."

http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0044/t.55

For now, HD Radio/IBOC is dead - authorization for nighttime AM will
never happen.